Best Shots Seen by Steve Williams
Steve Williams Best Shots Seen
Seeing unbelievable shots is part of the job, especially if you’ve caddied for Greg Norman, Raymond Floyd, Tiger Woods and Adam Scott. In his book, Out of the Rough, Steve Williams breaks down his top 5 shots seen while caddying. You might be surprised to find Tiger’s chip in at the Masters does not top the list.
- Fast forward to minute 51 & 40 seconds below and you’ll catch Greg Norman with driver off the deck. This par 5 was playing into the wind and required two remarkable driver shots for an eagle chance. The players’ reaction on the green and the fact that Norman didn’t wait for them to clear, tells how improbable this shot was. Better yet, he made the putt for a two shot lead and went on to win the tournament by the same margin.
2. Fast forward, 17 years to the 2002 PGA Championship at Hazeltine. Tiger is on the 18thhole in a fairway bunker. 200 yards with the bunker lip immediately in front and trees to carry after the lip. Compound that difficulty with a hanging lie. But Steve handed Tiger a 3 iron and he put it on the green.
3. Tiger, again, in a fairway bunker with just under 200 yards to go at the 2000 Canadian Open. This time a 6 iron in hand from a wet bunker over water to reach the par 5 18th, in two. Birdie and another trophy was the end result. https://youtu.be/_vP15fVxSJU
4. Finally the shot that I would have guessed to be ranked #1. Tiger goes long and left of the 16th hole at Augusta amidst a Sunday shootout with Chris DiMarco. Steve Williams thoroughly scouted Augusta and caddied it several times in competition, but he didn’t scope out this chip. He thought there was no chance Tiger would ever end up over there. Most players would have settled for 4 or 3 from this position, but Tiger decided to coax the chip in for a 2. https://youtu.be/_ZNoMzXx4HM
5. Tiger pops up again, this time with a clutch putt to force a playoff in the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines. Tiger’s reaction might be better than 5th all time. https://youtu.be/iFfCpvT_MV8